Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chicken Pad Thai


As I drove my Mom to one of her last physical therapy appointments this morning, we passed a Food Truck in the parking lot of the building we were going to. The food truck was Thai food! Oh how I love Pad Thai. The first time I had it was when I was 10 years old, visiting my best (and longest) friend. We met when we were 2 at pre-school, and became inseparable until she moved to Texas and we moved to Florida. Anyway, her mom ordered thai take-out and we watched Varisty Blues while eating pad thai. Maybe not the best movie for a couple of 10 year olds, but at that age we didn't understand any of the innuendos anyway. 
On to this dish though! As I drove past the Thai food truck, I thought to myself, "Self, I want Pad Thai!" (I added the "Self" for emphasis). I immediately googled "Pad Thai" on my phone and found Alton Brown's recipe. I decided to adjust it to my tastes, liking, grocery store, and my Atkins lifestyle. I took one bite of the version I made and automatically said "this is a keeper!" If you like Asian food, you'll like this recipe. 
These Items are readily available at a grocery store that has an international foods section.

Make it Induction Friendly: omit the peanuts

Makes 4 (gigantic!) Servings

Ingredients
4 Bags Shirataki Tofu Noodles (available at most grocery stores, look in the produce section by the egg roll wrappers)
12 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice
2 Tbsp. Canola oil
1 3/4 C chopped scallions, roughly 7 scallions, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 large eggs
1 Tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
3/4 C chicken broth
6 drops liquid sucralose (or ~2 Tbsp. granular splenda)
6 oz. Bean Sprouts, divided
1/4 C peanuts, divided

Instructions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Season both sides of chicken breasts with Chinese five spice. Bake until cooked through, and juices run clear. Once cooked, allow to cool a bit, and then dice.
2. Wash tofu noodles well. I like to drain them from the liquid in the package, then press between paper towels, rinse, and press again. Once well-rinsed, cut the noodles a bit. Microwave to heat them up a bit, and then press between paper towels again. 
3. In a measuring cup (liquid measure), combine the vinegar, fish sauce, soy sauce, and chicken broth.
4. Heat a large skillet or wok over medium high to high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. of oil, and saute the chicken for about 1 minute. Remove from the skillet.
5. Add last Tbsp of oil, and saute 2/3 scallions and garlic for about 30 seconds. Push to one side of the skillet, and add the eggs. Let them set for about 30 seconds, and then begin to scramble. When the eggs seem completely set and scrambled, combine the scallions and garlic with the eggs.
6. Add the remaining ingredients in the following order, making sure to stir/toss in between additions: noodles, sauce mixture, chicken, 2/3 bean sprouts, and 1/2 peanuts.
7. Divide into 4 bowls. Garnish with remaining scallions, sprouts, and peanuts.

*Note: The rice wine vinegar does have sugar in it. I honestly did not notice when I purchased it (yes, I know I am a horrible Atkins-er). Honestly, each person gets 1/4 tablespoon, so I figured it wouldn't matter too much. I also decided that since the original recipe called for tamarind paste and I couldn't find it, I shouldn't skimp on too many of the other sauce "flavors" or else it wouldn't taste enough like pad thai. Use it. Don't use it. Your decision. I am now done with my "sugar tale of woe".

Nutritional Information (per serving, with peanuts): 406 Calories, 21 g Fat, 40 g Protein, 16 Total Carbs, 7 g Fiber, 9 Net Carbs
Nutritional Information (per serving, Induction Friendly): 355 Calories, 16 g Fat, 37 g Protein, 14 Total Carbs, 6 g Fiber, 8 Net Carbs 



No comments:

Post a Comment